March 13 2018

Nomination Candidate FAQ

So you want to be a UCP MLA…

Q. Who is eligible to run for a nomination?
A. Any one who has been a member in good standing for at least six months is eligible to run for a nomination. 

Q. Do I need to live in the constituency I wish to run in?
A. No, you do not need to reside in the constituency you wish to run in.

Q. Who is eligible to be a vote in a nomination?
A. Anyone who resides within the geographic boundaries of the constituency and has been a UCP member in good standing for the length of time as set in the nomination rules.

Q. Who is eligible to be a member?
A. To be a member of the UCP, one must:

  • be ordinarily a resident of Alberta;
  • be at least 14 years of age;
  • be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident;
  • have resided in the province for at least 6 months;
  • indicate their intention to join the UCP by personally authorizing an application for membership in the UCP;
  • support the principles of the UCP; and
  • have paid the prescribed membership fee, personally or through an immediate family member (spouse, parent or child).

Q. How do you purchase a membership?
A. Memberships may be purchased online at If you prefer to use paper memberships, you may print off a membership application at: and submit it to the UCP office.

Q. What is the membership fee? 
A. $10.00 for 1 year, $20.00 for 2 years, $25.00 for 3 years 

Q. When should I start signing up new members? 
A. You should sign up and submit membership applications on an ongoing basis as soon as you decide you are interested in seeking the nomination. The sooner you start campaigning, the better you will do.

Q. Should I have a pamphlet when I am running for the nomination?
A. A pamphlet can be an effective recruiting tool. It shows people you are serious about being the candidate and gives you a chance to set out some of your ideas in writing. It also gives an you opportunity to leave something with people if they want to think about whether or not to support you.

Q. Do I need to register with Elections Alberta in order to seek the nomination?
A. Yes. Nomination campaigns are now regulated under provincial law. Once you publicly declare your intent to run you must register as a nomination contestant with Elections Alberta and appoint a Chief Financial Officer (CFO). A CFO is the person responsible for ensuring compliance with all aspects of campaign finance, including the filing of a campaign return. You will not be permitted to raise or spend any funds until you register with Elections Alberta.

Registration Forms can be found at:

The Elections Alberta Nomination Contestant Guide can be found at:

Q. On the Elections Alberta nomination candidate registration form, there is a section concerning acceptance from a political party or constituency association. Do I need this approval to register?
A. No, you do not need this endorsement to register with Elections Alberta. The party will provide acceptance once a candidate has been vetted and the formal nomination process in the relevant constituency has commenced.

Q. What are the spending and donation restrictions for a nomination campaign?
A. Only individuals (not corporations or unions) will be able to contribute to your campaign. Donations to a nomination contestant count towards an individual’s $4000 annual contribution limit and are tax receiptable. Your spending is capped at 20% of the constituency election campaign limit. For 2018 that cap it $10,000 * (subject to change).

Q. Do I need a campaign office? 
A. No. 

Q. What sort of promotional literature do I need? 
A. Typically, candidates will prepare a brochure that outlines their experience and policies.

Q. Should I have presence on social media? 
A. Many candidates use platforms such as Facebook, twitter, instagram and LinkedIn to promote themselves and complement (or, to save costs, duplicate) their promotional brochure. Nomination candidates are not permitted to use the UCP logo or colours.