Since the COVID-19 pandemic began, Alberta’s United Conservative government promised Albertans that every dollar that’s needed in our healthcare system to respond to the COVID-19 increase will be there.
Despite this, the NDP claim that there are widespread cuts across the healthcare system and more than 11,000 staff will be laid off. Nothing could be further from the truth
Here are the facts:
- In March, United Conservatives immediately passed $500 million in additional spending in the healthcare system to respond to the COVID-19 crisis
- In the second fiscal update, it showed Alberta has invested a further $506 million to the healthcare system
- Budget 2020 maintained health care spending at $20.6 billion
- Alberta is moving forward with $600 million in annual health care savings to be redirected to the front lines and patient care by outsourcing more contract services for things like housekeeping and laundry services to independent providers and private companies.
- There are zero job losses for nurses or for other front-line clinical staff